If the other parent will not let me see my child, do I have to continue to pay child support?

Yes. You should continue paying child support until the court orders you not to. Failure to pay child support can be punished by a number of remedies including jail time, suspension of your license, and ordering you to pay additional attorney fees to the opposing side for having to seek contempt of you for not paying child support. You absolutely should continue to pay child support even if you are not being granted parenting time. However, if you aren’t being granted parenting time rights that you are entitled to, you do have recourse. You can file a contempt for action against the other parent to receive parenting time and to receive makeup parenting time for any parenting time that they withheld.

– Answered by Jaimie Cairns of Cairns & Rabiola

For information on a free phone consultation, contact us.

Why Choose Cairns Law?

  • Personal, Practical and Professional Service
  • Cost-effective Solutions
  • Experience in all matters of family law cases
  • Free 30 Minute Phone Consultation
  • Flexible Payment Options